One day after Rep. Peter King’s fourth installment of Muslim radicalization hearings, a session focused on examining threats to military facilities and members, one of two men accused of plotting an attack on a military in-processing center pleaded guilty.
Walli Mujahidh, aka "Frederick Domingue, Jr.," 32, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to murder officers and agents of the United States, conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, and unlawful possession of a firearm, according to a U.S. Department of Justice press release published on Thursday.
Mujahidh along with Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, aka “Joseph Anthony Davis,” planned an attack where they would arrive at a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) in Seattle and launch a machine gun attack.
“Law enforcement first became aware of the plot when a citizen alerted them that he/she had been approached about participating in the attack and supplying firearms to the conspirators. The person then agreed to work with law enforcement, which began monitoring Abdul-Latif and Mujahidh,” the release says.
In June, law enforcement began surveillance on the pair and recording audio and video. On June 21, Mujahidh and Abdul-Latif were arrested after meeting with who they thought was an arms dealer, but was a police informant.
“The record shows that the United States military has become a direct target of violent Islamist extremism here in the U.S.,” said Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Joe Lieberman, (ID-Conn.), who co-chaired Wednesday’s hearing.
If the plea agreement is accepted by the court, Mujahidh will be sentenced to between 27 and 32 years in prison under the terms of the agreement. Following the prison term, Mujahidh will be on federal supervised release for the rest of his life.
Sentencing is scheduled for April 2012. Abdul-Latif remains scheduled for trial in May 2012.
photo by norfolkdistrict/flickr