NEWS

Morning Security Brief: Update on Malaysian Airlines Flight, Boston Marathon Security Amped Up, And More.

By Holly Gilbert

►The disappearance of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 does not appear to be linked to terrorism, the head of Interpol said Tuesday. Speaking at a news conference in Lyon, France, Interpol secretary general Ronald Noble said emerging clues related to the stolen passports used by two men to board the flight likely rule out terrorism as a possible reason the flight disappeared. The two men, identified as Pouria Nour Mohammadi, 18, and Delavar Seyed Mohammad Reza, 29, both Iranian, are believed to have been seeking asylum in Europe. They were traveling on passports from Italy and Austria, which were reported stolen from two tourists visiting Thailand. The mother of the younger man, who lives in Germany, contacted authorities when her son failed to reach his final destination in Frankfurt. Both men had entered Malyasia with valid Iranian passports. While terrorism may be ruled out, the search for the missing plane that was carrying 239 passengers and an investigation surrounding its disappearance continues.

► The New York Times reports that security will be at an all-time-high at next month’s Boston marathon, which is scheduled for April 21. At last year’s marathon, two bombs in backpacks exploded near the finish line, killing three and injuring hundreds. This year, twice as many police officers will be present, with more than 3,500 on duty. “Those plans include plainclothes officers, private security contractors, numerous security checkpoints with metal detectors, bomb-sniffing dogs and hundreds of surveillance cameras,” according to the article. Race-watchers are also being encouraged to tote belongings in clear plastic bags so the security checkpoint process can be expedited. The Associated Press also reports 100 security cameras will be installed along the racecourse and surrounding areas. At least a million spectators are expected along the course, doubling the number from last year.

► A cybersecurity firm says it has uncovered approximately 360 million stolen credentials available for purchase on the online black market, Reuters reports. While it is unknown what the credentials are linked to, experts say they could represent everything from payment card data to healthcare accounts, corporate networks, and online bank accounts. According to Alex Holden, chief information security officer of Hold Security LLC, many of the credentials were stolen in large attacks, including one that may have produced as many as 105 million records. The article adds that, in addition to the hundreds of millions of credentials, “the criminals are selling some 1.25 billion e-mail addresses, which many be of interest to spammers.”

Comments

View Recent News (by day)

 




Beyond Print

SM Online

See all the latest links and resources that supplement the current issue of Security Management magazine.