Morning Security Brief: Security Breach Lawsuit, Hacking, and Cuomo Wants School Dedicated to Security
By Ann Longmore-Etheridge
A class-action lawsuit has been filed against Target. Fortune 500 companies have all been hacked, says an expert. And Governor Andrew Cuomo wants a college in New York for security and emergency preparedness.
►The first of what might be many lawsuits has been filed in Utah federal court against retail giant Target. This one, set in motion by the law firm Christensen Young and Associates, is a $5-million class-action suit against the retailer on behalf of customers after a massive security breach during the holiday shopping period. More than 40 million people may have had their credit and debit cards compromised. The Washington Post reports, "The lawsuit accuses Target of an invasion of privacy, negligence and a breach of contract....The suit is calling on Target to provide funds for credit monitoring for those who may have been affected by the data breach, as well as pay for any other damages that may have accrued."
►In an interview with Fortune, Peter W. Singer, director of the Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence at the Brookings Institution and coauthor 2009's Wired for War, says that 97 percent of Fortune 500 companies know they have been hacked and the remaining 3 percent simply don't realize it yet. Singer, who is coauthor with Alan Friedman of a new book titled Cybersecurity and Cyberwar: What Everyone Needs to Know , told the magazine, "'This is now a very real problem, one that we have to recognize, that we have to manage.... Stop looking for others to solve it for you, stop looking for silver bullet solutions, and stop ignoring it.... I would argue the real national security threat right now is death by a thousand cuts: The massive loss of intellectual property--by one measure the largest theft in all of human history--that is happening right now to American industry."
►New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has proposed that his state create a State University of New York college that specializes in emergency preparedness and homeland and cyber security . Cuomo announced this at an event with Vice President Joe Biden at an event where disaster recovery after Superstorm Sandy was discussed. "While there are colleges with emergency preparedness programs, Cuomo said, there aren't any colleges in the country that focus solely on the topic," reports Auburn's The Citizen.