Al Qaeda-linked terrorists claim responsibility for firing three rockets at a villa where Western oil workers live in the city of Sanaa.
Al Qaeda-linked terrorists in Yemen claimed responsibility earlier today for mortar attacks against a Western housing complex in the southwest part of the city of Sanaa on Sunday, reports Reuters.
The Sunday night attacks consisted of three rockets that broke windows but hurt no one at a housing complex frequented by Westerners who work for Safer, formerly Hunt Oil, an oil and gas company. The company's offices were also in the housing complex.
According to Agence France Presse :
Suspected Al-Qaeda militants have carried out several attacks in recent years in Yemen, ancestral homeland of Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for a suicide attack in October 2000 that killed 17 US sailors on the destroyer USS Cole in the southern port of Aden.
Only last month, Al-Qaeda's wing in Yemen, which calls itself Jund Al-Yemen Brigades, claimed in an Internet statement to have targeted the American embassy in Sanaa in an attack that hit a nearby girls' school.
A schoolgirl and a policeman were killed and 19 people were wounded in the March 18 attack which Washington said targeted the US embassy.
An unnamed Yemeni security official told Reuters al Qaeda's Yemeni wing had claimed responsibility for the attack. The wire service, however, notes that jihadist Web sites that traditionally carry such statements were silent about the attack.